These Graham Cracker Cookies are a simple, yummy, and quick dessert: Just spread rich chocolate buttercream between store-bought graham crackers.
I figured these graham cracker cookies were the brainchild of my mom, whenever she happened to have leftovers from frosting a cake.
Then she told me her mom made them too–and when she packed them in my mom’s lunch, she was embarrassed because the other girls had store-bought cookies, (still, she secretly loved them).
Then I posted a photo of these cookies on social media and found out that a whole bunch of you ate these as a kid too.
Growing up, we didn’t really have a name for this graham cracker dessert. Now that I make them for my kids, we call them Icebox Cookies because they’re kept in the refrigerator.
You might also like: The BEST No-Bake Cookies
This is not a complicated cookie. Get a box of graham crackers and you’re halfway there. Better yet, keep a box of graham crackers in your pantry, so you can make some of these when YOU have leftovers from frosting a birthday cake or batch of cupcakes.
They’re the perfect cookie when you’ve got a craving but don’t have the time (or all the ingredients) to bake a batch yourself.
Other cookie combos
My favorite combination is this simple chocolate buttercream frosting sandwiched between honey graham crackers, but you could also try these combos:
- Cinnamon graham crackers + vanilla buttercream (simply leave out the cocoa in the recipe below)
- Chocolate graham crackers + peanut butter buttercream
The longer these graham cracker sandwiches sit in the refrigerator, the softer they become. But chances are, they won’t last long.
And if you pack them in your kid’s lunch and they claim they want store-bought instead, know that they secretly love them.
More cookie recipes:
- The BEST No Bake Cookies
- No Flour 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Thumbprint Cookies
- Cut-Out Cookies You Don’t Need to Chill
- 12 sheets graham crackers (plain or honey)
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (any kind but whole or 2% preferred)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- Mix butter with an electric mixer or by hand until creamy.
- Add cocoa, sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt. If frosting is too thick, add milk (1 teaspoon at a time) until you get the texture you want. If too thin, add powdered sugar (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Beat frosting for about a minute. It will get fluffier and lighter in color.
- Break graham crackers in half and spread about one heaping tablespoon of frosting on one half and top with the other half.
- Place cookies in a container or bag and refrigerate. The longer they're refrigerated, the softer they'll become.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g