Thumbprint Cookies, rolled in chopped walnuts and filled with a dab of frosting, are a festive holiday treat for your family.
My husband’s favorite Christmas cookies are Thumbprint Cookies. Specifically, the ones my mom makes when we visit over the holidays.
So every December, I try to make him at least one batch to enjoy in the weeks leading up to Christmas–and I never, ever deviate from my mom’s recipe.
Ingredients You Need To Make Thumbprint Cookies
- shortening (I use either Spectrum Organic or Crisco)
- brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- chopped walnuts
- powered sugar
- almond extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening, I use either Spectrum Organic or Crisco
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk and white, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Icing For Center
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening (I use Spectrum)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- drop almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, shortening, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla with a mixer.
- Blend flour and salt together in a small bowl and stir into batter. Batter will be thick.
- Beat egg white in small bowl and place chopped walnuts on a small plate.
- Roll dough into balls (I do tablespoons, but my mom does teaspoons), dip balls into egg white, then roll in walnuts. Place on baking sheet.
- Press your thumb or the back of a tablespoon gently into the center of each cookie to make an indentation.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly firm. Remove from oven. You may need to press your thumb or tablespoon gently into each cookie while they're still warm to redefine the indentation.
- Mix frosting ingredients together while the cookies cool. If the frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon of milk at a time--if too thin, add a teaspoon of powdered sugar at a time--until you get a texture that's thick enough to stay in the center of the cookies.
- Once cookies are cool, put a small dab of frosting in the center of each cookie. Add festive sprinkles if you have them!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 13 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g