Thank you to Silpat for sending me a free Perfect Cookie Mat.
My husband’s favorite Christmas cookies are Thumbprints. Specifically, the ones my mom makes when we visit over the holidays. So every December, I try to make him at least one batch to enjoy in the weeks leading up to Christmas–and I never, ever deviate from my mom’s recipe (scroll down to get it!).
Though you can fill Thumbprints with whatever you like, I always fill mine with a dab of vanilla frosting, which includes my mom’s secret ingredient: a drop or two of almond extract.
They’re a must for making homemade fruit leathers (get the recipes for Homemade Strawberrry Fruit Leather and Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather), and I use them every time I bake cookies. They can stand in for parchment or foil in lots of baking projects and clean easily with soap and water.
Though you can use it for other purposes, the Silpat Perfect Cookie mat is designed especially for baking cookies. It shows exactly where to place your dough and the approximate size of the final product–so no more smashed-together cookies. It fits neatly inside a 13″ x 18″ pan. I featured the Perfect Cookie mat in my Holiday Gift Guide this year (read Budget-Friendly Gift Ideas For Cooks).
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening, I use either Spectrum Organic or Crisco
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk and white, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, shortening, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla with a mixer.
- Blend flour and salt together in a small bowl and stir into batter. Batter will be thick.
- Beat egg white in small bowl and place chopped walnuts on a small plate.
- Roll dough into balls (I do tablespoons, but my mom does teaspoons), dip balls into egg white, then roll in walnuts. Place on baking sheet.
- Press your thumb gently into the center of each cookie to make an indentation.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly firm. Remove from oven. You may need to press your thumb gently into each cookie while they're still warm to redefine the indentation.
- Allow cookies to cool and fill the centers with frosting, jam, or other favorite filling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 13 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166