My kids love mashed potatoes. I love dinners that cook themselves while I’m doing something else. So this recipe for Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potato Soup is a keeper. And who doesn’t love a big bowl of comfort food?
This recipe comes from the pages of the new cookbook by Aviva Goldfarb, The Six O’Clock Scramble Meal Planner, a year of seasonal recipes that come together quickly to make dinner happen. For each, Aviva gives suggestions for sides, plus tips for working ahead and delegating tasks. I love that Aviva’s recipes are fast, easy, and nourishing–exactly the kind of recipes you need at the end of a busy day.
Once this soup is done, set out toppings so each person can create their own bowl. You can also make this meal meatless by using vegetable broth and skipping the bacon. However you make it, I hope your family loves it. Mine did!
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic, 3-4 cloves, to taste
- 2 large russet, baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken or vegetable north
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, or use chives
- 1/3 cup shredded 50% reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 strips turkey, pork, or vegetarian bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Add the onions, garlic, potatoes, and broth to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary--get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
- Thirty minutes before serving, use an immersion blender or standing blender to puree the soup, then add the sour cream. (I returned mine to the slow cooker for that last 30 minutes to continue to cook and thicken.)
- Serve topped with the scallions, cheese, bacon, and extra sour cream, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Saturated Fat: 1.6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
For stove-top cooking: In a stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon trans fat-free margarine over medium heat. Add the onions and the garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes to coat them. Add the broth, bring it to a low boil, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are very tender. Puree the soup using a handheld immersion blender or a standing blender. Return the soup to the pot, if necessary, and store in the sour cream until it is smooth. Serve the soup immediately, topped with the scallions, cheese, bacon, and extra sour cream if desired, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Aviva also helps families through her dinner planning service, The Six O’Clock Scramble.
[Tweet “Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potato Soup from @thescramble”]
Top photo by Renee Comet