Forget packaged frozen pizza rolls! These Homemade Pepperoni Rolls are a fun dinner, satisfying snack, or easy lunch box item and are made with just five ingredients.
Last week I waxed poetic about the peanut butter bars I grew up eating in the Midwest (get the recipe: Peanut Butter Quinoa Bars). Now it’s time for another regional goodie: Pepperoni Rolls! Google tells me they hail from West Virginia. I grew up eating a version in Pennsylvania, where the schools even sell them for fundraisers. They’re that good!
This easy pepperoni roll recipe is actually a smaller version of the Pizza Bread recipe I posted a few years ago. I was inspired by my sister-in-law, who makes this mini version for her teens and his friends (and even sends them with his team for away sports matches–hello, Best Mom Ever!).
My kids have been loving these (cold) in their lunch boxes. I’ve also taken some out of the freezer for “Scrounge Nights” when we’re eating out of the fridge and freezer.
|You might also like: Ham and Cheese Pinwheels|
I make these pepperoni rolls with frozen bread dough. I use packaged dinner roll dough from the freezer section, but you can also use refrigerated pizza dough or make your own dough too.
This pepperoni roll recipe makes one dozen, but feel free to double or triple it. Scroll down for instructions on freezing them.
|Get More: All My Top Posts About Packing Lunches|
How to Make Homemade Pepperoni Rolls
Defrost the rolls according to package instructions.
Press or roll dough balls into circle that are at least 1/4-inch bigger than the diameter of your pepperoni (for me, that was about a 4 1/2-inch circumference). Try to avoid using flour on your surface, which will make the dough edges harder to seal. Mix beaten egg with Parmesan and spread a heaping teaspoon of the mixture over each circle, leaving at least 1/4-inch around all sides. (I have tried these rolls without the egg/Parm mix and they just don’t taste as rich and yummy.)
Top each with a slice of deli pepperoni and two squares of sliced mozzarella (not shredded–that’s too tricky to work with here!). Sprinkle with a bit of oregano for an extra kick of flavor.
Roll each one tightly.
Tuck in ends, and press all edges tightly with your fingertips until well sealed.
Place rolls seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat. Brush with olive oil and bake in a 400-degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold with pizza sauce for dipping.
Can I Freeze Pepperoni Rolls?
Yes! Just let them cool and transfer into a freezer bag. Take them out as you need them and reheat in the microwave or toaster oven. Or defrost them overnight in the fridge to put in lunch boxes the next morning.Forget packaged pizza bites! Here's how to make Homemade Pepperoni Rolls
- 12 frozen dinner roll dough balls, defrosted according to package directions
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 slices deli pepperoni
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into four squares each, (not shredded!)
- oregano, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Press or roll dough balls into circles at least 1/4-inch bigger than the diameter of your pepperoni (for me, that was about 4 1/2-inch circumference). Try to avoid using flour on your surface, which will make the dough harder to pinch closed.
- Mix beaten egg with Parmesan and spread a heaping teaspoon of the mixture over each circle, leaving at least 1/4-inch around all sides.
- Top with pepperoni and two squares of mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano.
- Roll tightly, tuck in ends, and press all edges tightly with your fingertips until well sealed.
- Place rolls on the baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold with pizza sauce on the side for dipping.
- Keep any leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 pepperoni rolls
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 587mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g