My kids weren’t always fans of fish. Until I made fish tacos. Apparently, being able to wrap your fish in a warm tortilla and pile on whatever toppings you want was a game-changer for them.
What I love about this recipe:
- You mix up your own easy spice mixture to coat the fish (no packets of store-bought seasoning needed).
- It involves less than 20 minutes of hands-on time.
- The lime-cilantro crema sauce. So yummy.
- Everyone can customize their own taco, so everyone is happy. (And it goes without saying, but if your kids want different toppings than those listed here –like shredded cheese and salsa–go for it!)
When a Real Mom Nutrition reader made this recipe, she left this comment on my Facebook page: “We officially have a new favorite dinner. Made them last night with fresh, homemade corn tortillas. Oh my! My 4yo scarfed down an entire plate of seconds. Before I had a chance to taste mine, she said to me, ‘Do you even know how good these are?!???'”
Time-Saving Tip: Mix up the spice mixture and the crema in the morning so it’s all ready to go for dinner prep.
Money-Saving Tip: Look for smoked paprika in the ethnic foods aisle at the grocery store. Spices there are typically way less expensive than those in the traditional spice aisle.
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika (*my note: feel free to use regular paprika instead)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups angel hair slaw, or shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Cover and chill.
- Combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture over both sides of fillets. Place fillets on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 9 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Cool slightly. Place fish in a large bowl; break into pieces with 2 forks.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates. Arrange ½ cup slaw on each tortilla. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; Top each serving with ¼ cup tomato, 2 tablespoons red onion, 1 tablespoon green onions and about 3 tablespoons lime crema. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Servings Serving Size: 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Sodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 24gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g