If you need a quick weeknight dinner, this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is healthy and kid-friendly. It’s perfect comfort food for busy nights!
Great news: You are 15 minutes away from a bowl of macaroni and cheese, and there’s no cheese powder mix involved!
Back to school season calls for recipes like this–ones that come together in a handful of minutes and are comforting to big people and little people after a long day. I’ve paired bowlfuls of this with a green salad for dinner. I’ve also made it as a side dish to a larger meal. Either way, it’s been a crowd pleaser.
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
First, pulse a slice of whole grain bread in the food processor to make the breadcrumb topping. Then switch to the shredding blade and shred the whole block of Cabot cheese with the push of a button. (Thank you, handy kitchen machines!) If you don’t have a food processor, see the recipe notes below.
|You might also like: Whole Wheat No Kneed Bread (Using The Instant Pot!)|
Add the dry pasta, water, seasonings, and butter to the bowl of the Instant Pot and give it a quick stir.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the lever on the lid is turned to SEALING. Set on MANUAL for 4 minutes.
While it’s cooking, toast the breadcrumbs in a skillet, along with melted butter, until browned and crisp.
As soon as the four minutes are done, immediately turn off the Instant Pot and carefully release the pressure (I place a towel or pot holder over my hand when I switch the lever to VENTING).
When the silver float valve has dropped, carefully open the lid of the Instant Pot, add the milk and shredded cheese, and stir well until combined.
Let it sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken up, then serve, topping with sprinkled breadcrumbs if you want a crunchy topping.
A few notes about this recipe:
- I prefer using a block of cheese for homemade mac, but feel free to save time and use pre-shredded cheese. Cabot shredded cheese comes in many varieties, including Sharp and Seriously Sharp. All of Cabot’s cheddar cheeses are naturally lactose-free (and gluten-free).
- If you don’t have a food processor, shred the cheese by hand with a grater. For the breadcrumbs, tear a piece of bread into pieces, place in a plastic baggie, and crush with a rolling pin into crumbs.
- After testing this recipe many times, I settled on using a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and white macaroni noodles. I love the extra fiber and whole grains in whole wheat pasta. My family prefers the flavor of white noodles in mac and cheese. So we compromised. But if you’d prefer to use all whole wheat or all white noodles, both will work.
- Be sure to stay close to your Instant Pot while this cooks. If you’re not paying attention and the Instant Pot continue to cook the noodles beyond four minutes, they will turn to mush and everyone will be sad.
About Cabot Cheese
Whether you already use Cabot products or have just seen it when grocery shopping, you may not know this: Cabot is a co-operative, owned and operated by 1,000 family farms throughout New England and New York–and 100 percent of their profits go back to the farmers. I love that. In addition to cheese, they also make Greek yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, butter, and whey protein. So look for them at the store next time!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
If you need a quick weeknight dinner, this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is healthy and kid-friendly. It's perfect comfort food for busy nights!
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 cup enriched elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce block Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley optional
Tear slice in half and pulse bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
Switch to the shredding attachment on the food processor and shred the cheese (you can also do this by hand if you prefer). Set aside.
Place both kinds of macaroni, water, one tablespoon butter, nutmeg, and salt in the Instant Pot and give it a stir. Place the lid on Instant Pot, and be sure lever is set to "sealing". Set on Manual for four minutes.
While Instant Pot is going, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, then add bread crumbs, stirring frequently until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
When the four minutes of cook time are up, turn Instant Pot off and release the pressure by carefully moving lever to "venting" (always keep hands and face away from the steam as it's releasing). When all of the pressure is released and the silver float valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid. Stir in the cheese and milk, stirring vigorously until fully incorporated and the cheese is completely melted. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly.
Portion macaroni and cheese into bowls and sprinkle with bread crumb topping and fresh parsley, if desired.