These Easy Meatball Subs are a quick, kid-friendly weeknight dinner your family will love–and they’re ready in about 30 minutes!
Thanks to the National Frozen and Refrigerated Foods Association for sponsoring this post!
Chaos is looming—in the form of practices, lessons, games, and extracurricular activities. Much to the chagrin of most kids (and the sweet relief of many parents), the school year is about to start. And it’s best to be prepared. That means having a handful of “shortcut home-cooked” dinners in your back pocket for weeknights.
What’s a “shortcut home-cooked” dinner? That’s a term I made up for a meal that relies on a key convenience item—and that item means the difference between me putting a healthy, homecooked meal on the table and me ordering pizza.
Frozen meatballs are that key item in these Easy Meatball Subs that preserve the home-cooked taste but save me serious time. Don’t get me wrong: I like making from-scratch meatballs. But that’s a project not fit for a standard Wednesday evening at 6:15 when my troops are hungry.
I used Rosina Italian Style Meatballs, which are a mix of beef, pork, and chicken. They come in a half-ounce size that’s just right for meatball subs.
Using frozen meatballs means you have time to make a (mostly) from-scratch sauce, which you simmer along with the meatballs. (I say “mostly” because it starts with a can of crushed tomatoes–scratch sauce from fresh tomatoes is not a Wednesday evening task either!)
Once the sauce is mixed together, add the frozen meatballs, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes.
Then pile the saucy meatballs into buns (I put four meatballs in each bun for adults, three for my kids). Top with shredded cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or two until browned and bubbly.
You’re done! I serve these with big, crisp green salads.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloved, pressed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, (big or small pinch, depending on how much heat your crowd likes)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package Rosina Italian Style Meatballs, (1/2 ounce size)
- 6 sub, brat, or hot dog buns
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a medium skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat for 15 seconds, then add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes and stir well; add salt and sugar and stir again until combined
- Add entire package of Rosina Italian Style Meatballs to sauce, stirring so meatballs are covered in sauce.
- Cover pan and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Move oven rack to top position, and heat the broiler to HIGH.
- Spoon saucy meatballs into buns, top with cheese, and place on a baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they don’t burn.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 sub
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 1122mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 18g
You can find more quick weeknight-ready recipes at Easy Home Meals. Here are three more recipe ideas using Rosina meatballs: