Inside: Get an easy recipe for healthy homemade crackers. Making your own crackers is easy and uses just a few basic ingredients.
I’d always filed homemade crackers under “As If!”
As in, take all that time to make crackers when you can pick up a box at the grocery store for two bucks? As if!
When I finally made them for the first time, I was surprised by how easy they are–and GOOD.
They’re also sturdy enough to dunk into hummus or spread with soft cheese.
And you don’t need any special equipment to make these–just a rolling pin and a baking sheet.
Ingredients for homemade crackers
- Flour: These are made with a combination of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour
- Butter: I use real butter, and it’s easier to blend in if you grate it first
- Baking powder
- Salt: I use regular table salt
- Olive oil: You’ll brush this on the tops of the crackers before baking
- Toppings: Such as everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, grated cheese, rosemary, or kosher/flaky sea salt
How to Make Healthy Homemade Crackers
The dough is made with just a few simple ingredients and is easy to roll out.
In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, and salt. Work in the butter using a fork, pastry blender, or your hands. Then stir in the milk and knead with your hands until it comes together in a ball.
Divide the cracker dough in half, wrap the halves in plastic wrap, or put them in a bowl covered in plastic wrap or a towel to keep them from drying out. Set aside and let the dough balls rest for 30 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin sheet. If you like crispy crackers, roll them thinner. (If you have a pasta machine, you could use this to get a very thin, uniform dough sheet. I just rolled mine out by hand.)
Cut them to desired shape and size with a sharp knife or a pizza cutter. You could also use cookie cutters for fun shapes. Brush the tops with olive oil, sprinkle with salt (or your favorite toppings like everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds), and bake.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. The longer they’re baked, the crispier they’ll be.
Store crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
What to serve with these homemade crackers
Use these crackers as you would store-bought crackers. Pack them in a lunch box. Put them on a snack platter for kids along with cheese, fruit, and whatever else they like to munch on.
More recipes with whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, (4 tablespoons)
- ½ cup milk
- Optional: olive oil, sea salt, rosemary, parmesan cheese, or everything bagel seasoning for topping crackers
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flours, salt, and baking powder
- Work in the cold butter with a wooden spoon or your hands until mixture looks like wet sand (it's easiest to shred the butter, then mix it in)
- Add the milk and stir until the dough comes together.
- Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it becomes smooth, about 1-2 minutes. (It will seem crumbly at first, but it will form into a stiff dough after a minute.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap them in plastic or place in covered bowl. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out one of the dough pieces on a lightly floured work surface as thinly as possible, 1/16" or thinner.
- Using a knife or cookie cutter, cut the dough into 1" to 2" squares and place them on a the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the crackers with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt or with any of the optional ingredients if desired, then bake them for 12-15 minutes, until crisp and lightly golden around the edges
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy! They can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g