This simple cucumber salad with vinegar and red onion makes a light and refreshing addition to your summer meal.
I was a terribly picky eater when I was a child (read: My Picky Eater Recovery). There’s a long list of foods that I wouldn’t eat then that I love now. This cucumber salad with vinegar is one of them. I grew up seeing it on the table–especially in the summertime when my parents pick loads of fresh cucumbers from their garden–but I never tried it until I was an adult.
And now I want to eat it all the time!
This salad would make an easy, seasonal side dish for dinner or lunch.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
What kind of vinegar do you use for cucumber salad?
- Cucumber salad with rice vinegar: This vinegar is sweet and light-tasting
- Cucumber salad with apple cider vinegar: This vinegar will give your salad a tart flavor
- Cucumber salad with red wine vinegar: You’ll get more “bite” with this vinegar
What kind of onions do you use with cucumber salad?
- Red onion: These give cucumber salad a great color, may be slightly spicy, and are good eaten raw
- Sweet onion (such as Vidalia): These onions are white inside, obviously have a sweet flavor, and can be used raw
- Yellow onions: These are typically used for cooking
What can you put in cucumber salad?
- A small handful of chopped, fresh dill or parsley
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- A sprinkle of sugar (keep in mind that seasoned rice vinegar is already sweet)
Is Cucumber Salad Healthy?
Yes! Cucumbers contain a little bit of vitamin K, which helps blood clot normally. They also have a bit of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Cucumbers also pack a lot of water (they’re 96 percent water!) which means they’re filling and low in calories. Onions also contain disease-fighting compounds–and the pigment in the red onions in this recipe work as antioxidants in the body.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place sliced cucumbers and red onion in a small bowl.
- Add vinegar and water and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 42Sodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
[Tweet “Simple and Refreshing Cucumber Salad With Vinegar:”]