This moist, sweet banana bread with chocolate chips is made using whole wheat pastry flour. It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch boxes, and snacks.
Everything is better with chocolate chips. That seems to be a family motto of sorts around here. When there are overripe bananas lingering in the fruit bowl, they’re either frozen for smoothies or mashed into a loaf of this easy banana bread. And when I ask my boys their preference, they always choose adding chocolate chips.
This banana bread with chocolate chips is super moist thanks to the addition of unsweetened applesauce. Using brown sugar instead of white also lends more moistness–and I love the caramel flavor and deeper hue it gives too.
What is Whole Wheat Pastry Flour?
This banana bread recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour. If you’ve been baking your cookies and muffins with regular whole wheat flour, this switch will rock your world. Whole wheat pastry flour (also called graham flour) is made from a lower-protein wheat than regular whole wheat flour, so your baked goods will be softer and more tender. It’s best for baked goods like cookies, muffins, and pie crust but NOT yeast breads.
What Kind of Pan Should I Use for Banana Bread?
Light-colored metal pans (such as aluminum) are generally recommended for quick breads like this. Darker metal pans tend to absorb too much heat, and you may end up with bread that’s burnt around the edges. When I tried this recipe using a glass loaf pan, the bread stuck horribly on the bottom despite generous greasing and flouring. Yet some people swear by glass pans for baking breads. If you decide to go glass, lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
As extra insurance, no matter what kind of pan you use, I recommend cutting a piece of parchment to fit just the bottom of the pan. Place it in the pan after greasing and flouring. No more worries about your loaf sticking to the bottom. It peels right off after baking.
Your loaf may also come out neater and cleaner if you allow it to rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes after baking before turning it out.
|You might also like: Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Bread|
Can I Use This Recipe For Banana Bread Muffins?
Yes! To make muffins from this recipe, allow batter to sit for 15 minutes (your muffins will rise up higher). Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or grease and flour compartments well. Bake muffins at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips:
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Butter/grease and flour a metal baking pan. For extra insurance, cut a piece of parchment to size and place just on the bottom of the pan after greasing and flouring. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine mashed bananas, eggs, canola oil, unsweetened applesauce, and brown sugar in a medium bowl and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined (but don't over-mix). Fold in 1/4 cup of the chips into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup of chips. Bake on center rack for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let loaf rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Invert bread out of pan and set to cool. To store leftovers, store (cooled) bread in a ziplock bag or container with a lid and use within three days--if keeping any longer, refrigerate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g