I spent my entire childhood afraid to eat rhubarb. My dad grew a big patch of it in the garden, and my mom made strawberry rhubarb jam. To me, it looked like gigantic wild celery–and I certainly wasn’t spreading that on my toast.
When I finally tasted rhubarb and strawberries together as an adult, it was a revelation. I’d missed out for so many years–clearly, I needed to make up for lost time.
Of all the desserts I make (and I make a lot of desserts because I love them), this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Tart is my husband’s hands-down favorite. He’s been known to say, mid-way through a slice, “I want to live in this pie”.
Be aware that there’s nothing “healthy” about this recipe. It uses generous amounts of sugar and lots of real butter. But it’s the perfect way to celebrate these two beautiful spring foods–and an easy way to wow guests after dinner. And because there’s no pie crust to roll (and tear and curse at), it’s hard to mess up.
There’s a printable link at the bottom of this post. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
Place 1 stick of butter (cut into pieces) in a food processor for a few seconds and process until creamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and process until light and fluffy, about 20 seconds. (You can also mix this by hand with a pastry blender or fork.)
Make the crumble by combining 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and 3 tablespoons cold butter (cut into pieces) in a food processor until it looks like coarse meal (you can also do this by hand with a pastry blender or fork). Sprinkle crumble all over top of tart.
Serve warm or room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces, (1 stick)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- Place the butter in a food processor for a few seconds until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and process until light and fluffy, about 20 seconds.
- Combine the flour and salt in a small bowl and add to food processor. Process until the dough comes together around the sides.
- With floured hands, press dough evenly over the bottom (and slightly up the sides) of a tart pan or springform pan.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork, cover pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake shell until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by mixing strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and flour together. Spoon this mixture onto shell.
- Make the crumble by combining the sugar, flour, and butter in a food processor until it looks like coarse meal. Sprinkle this all over tart.
- Place tart or springform pan onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Saturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g