I don’t have the garden space to grow zucchini. Seriously, have you seen how big those plants get? But luckily I have a neighbor who will trade zucchini for peaches (as you may recall, I recently bought 50 pounds of peaches). And as much as I enjoy sautéed or grilled zucchini, I have to admit that my first thought upon receiving a fresh garden zucchini is zucchini bread.
This recipe is a riff on my mom’s zucchini bread recipe, which I grew up eating. I cut the oil in half and the sugar by a quarter, subbed in white whole wheat flour, and stirred in plain yogurt for extra moistness. And most importantly, I added cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
When I made this Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Bread last week for my family, we ended up eating the entire loaf in a day. Which I am not proud of. But which goes to show how irresistible it is.
For another spin, check out Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins with Crunchy Sunflower Seed Topping.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, I used Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fresh zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour a loaf pan (or use cooking spray).
- Combine eggs, yogurt, and oil in a mixing bowl and blend well. Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder and blend. Batter will be thick.
- Add 1/4 cup chocolate chips and zucchini and stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chocolate chips on top of loaf. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set pan on a wire rack and let rest for 15 minutes. Slide a knife around the edges to loosen loaf from pan. Carefully turn out loaf onto wire rack and cool.
To make muffins instead: Line muffin tin with paper liners. Spoon batter into muffin cups, about 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with reserved chips. Bake 15-20 minutes or until muffin springs back when gently pressed. Makes about 16 muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 slices Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g