Make Your Own Peanut Butter

My attempts to make homemade almond butter last year nearly resulted in an electrical fire (read: DIY Almond Butter or How I Almost Made My New Food Processor Explode). But my Cuisinart seems to like peanuts a lot more.

Homemade peanut butter is so easy and so delicious. Do you have peanuts, a food processor, and about three minutes? That’s all you need to make your own peanut butter.

Here’s how to make a batch:

Measure out 2 cups of peanuts.

Place them in the bowl of your food processor, attach the lid, and turn it on.

After about 30 seconds, it will look like this.

Then this.

Then this.

And finally this.

And since you totally deserve it, you can also throw in a (large) handful of chocolate chips if you like.

Heaven.

Enjoy!

Liked this post?

Get my posts delivered to your inbox--plus receive a newsletter with bonus recipes & tips!

Comments

• says

We go through our peanut butter very quickly (within 1-2 weeks) so we actually never refrigerate it. But if it takes you longer to use a jar, yes I would refrigerate it.

1. says

I do this all the time with sunflower seeds!! Easy, cheap, and healthy. I just made it with choc. chips earlier this week for my son, because he had requested Nutella, which unfortunately isn’t ok for him.

We also sometimes put in honey and cinnamon instead.

2. Ginger says

I am sooo making this. Quick question…since it is just me and my small son, we don’t go through a lot of food quickly. Obviously this isn’t a lot of finished product, but how long would you keep it in the fridge before throwing it out if it wasn’t fully used? Somehow I doubt that will be the case…but you never know! Thank you for sharing!!!

• says

Ginger–I actually leave my natural PB on a shelf in the pantry, because we go through it so fast (about a jar every week or two). I’ve kept this chocolate PB out on the counter for a week as well, and it’s kept just fine. Refrigerated, I’m sure it would keep quite a long time–I’d be comfortable with a month or two.

3. says

I LOVE that you didn’t add oil. I get so frustrated when I see recipes that call for oil! All you need to do is simply wait for the peanuts to release their own oil, no need to add any! I tried making chocolate the other day with my last batch but I used cocoa powder and honey and it did NOT turn out well. Taste wise, great. But sort of separated and gritty. I ended up adding it to a batch of sweet potato muffins. Oh well, no waste at least.

Next time I’ll try this method. It looks fantastic!

4. Karin says

Thanks for the recipe! I made it the other day and have a question. When it first finished, it was silky and smooth..tasted great. After I put it in a tupperware (stored in a cabinet), it congealed and was super thick/not easily spreadable. I tried adding honey to it to thin it out but it still got really thick afterwards. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the texture easier to spread?

• says

Hi Karin–Make sure you process it long enough that all those oils are released. Mine has hardened over time as well, though it’s usually still spreadable. You could always put some in a small glass dish and microwave for 20 seconds or so to soften it back up. Some recipes for this call for extra oil during the processing phase, but I didn’t want to do that.

• Karin says

Thank you Sally. That’s probably the problem. For the 2 cups you used in this recipe, about how long did you process it in the food processor? I agree that I’d rather avoid adding extra oil to PB!

• says

Hey Karin—to be honest, I haven’t timed it exactly. I just watch it and wait for it to smooth out and then process it another 20-30 seconds or so for good measure. Next time I will time it! :)

5. Beth says

Hi! Maybe you can help me with something. I make my PB with only peanuts and honey, that’s all. I process the roasted unsalted peanuts til it’s soft, then add a little honey. As you know, when you put honey in it stiffens up big time, but then I process it til it’s really really smooth–which takes a long time in my Cuisinart. It gets extremely thin while it’s hot (which is fine) but the problem is even after refrigerated for days it stays pretty soft; a little softer than I’d prefer for sandwiches, etc. Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

• says

Hi Beth–I actually don’t refrigerate mine. We use it so quickly–going through a jar in a week or two–that it does not go rancid. And it’s much easier to spread that way! If you’re reluctant to do that, you could portion a smaller amount out to stay unrefrigerated and refrigerate the rest.

Trackbacks

1. […] I’m a sucker for chocolate nut butters and can’t be trusted in the house alone with the store-bought kinds, which tend to be very sweet. So I make my own in smaller, less expensive batches that are still chocolately but not as sugary. All you need for this recipe is 2 cups of mixed nuts and 2-3 ounces of dark chocolate. I used salted mixed nuts and dark chocolate from Aldi (natch), but feel free to use your favorites. You can also use semi-sweet chocolate chips if that’s what you have. (For a straight-up peanut version, read “Make Your Own Peanut Butter“.) […]