Make Your Own Peanut Butter

by Sally on November 28, 2012

My attempts to make homemade almond butter last year nearly resulted in an electrical fire (read: DIY Almond Butter or How I Almost Made My New Food Processor Explode). But my Cuisinart seems to like peanuts a lot more.

Homemade peanut butter is so easy and so delicious. Do you have peanuts, a food processor, and about three minutes? That’s all you need!

Here’s how to make a batch:

Measure out 2 cups of peanuts.

Place them in the bowl of your food processor, attach the lid, and turn it on.

After about 30 seconds, it will look like this.

Then this.

Then this.

And finally this.

And since you totally deserve it, you can also throw in a (large) handful of chocolate chips if you like.

Heaven.

Enjoy!

Elana November 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I need to try this! Do you think the PB needs to be refrigerated afterward?

Sally November 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm

We go through our peanut butter very quickly (within 1-2 weeks) so we actually never refrigerate it. But if it takes you longer to use a jar, yes I would refrigerate it.

Robin Jingjit November 28, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I do this all the time with sunflower seeds!! Easy, cheap, and healthy. I just made it with choc. chips earlier this week for my son, because he had requested Nutella, which unfortunately isn’t ok for him.

We also sometimes put in honey and cinnamon instead.

Sally November 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

That’s a great idea, Robin. I also like the cinnamon/honey idea. Will have to try that.

Jennifer Pullman November 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Looks great. Can not wait to try this. Who knew homemade peanut butter could be so easy!

Bettina at The Lunch Tray November 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Sally: This should probably be obvious to me, but do you start with roasted peanuts or raw? And if roasted, were they salted? I feel like no salt at all might be sort of blah? Enlighten me!

Sally November 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Bettina–I’ve used different kinds, but I prefer the roasted, salted peanuts. I like some salt in my nut butter.

Kim @ The Soulicious Life November 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Brilliant! Love the idea to add chocolate chips; yum!

Danielle Omar, Food Confidence RD November 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I make my own, too! I use my Vitamix and have found that raw nuts don’t work as well as dry roasted. Just FYI! :-)

Farida November 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Wow this is cool , I should give it a try :)

Holly Larson November 30, 2012 at 1:06 pm

So simple-can’t wait to try!

Nutrition for Kids December 2, 2012 at 12:40 am

Interesting! I’ve always wondered how peanut butters are made. Thanks for sharing!

Charity March 3, 2013 at 8:56 am

Love this–and can’t wait to try your 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies too.

Sally March 3, 2013 at 9:04 am

Charity–thanks for your comment! I LOVE those cookies. Hope you do too!

Ginger March 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am sooo making this. Quick question…since it is just me and my small son, we don’t go through a lot of food quickly. Obviously this isn’t a lot of finished product, but how long would you keep it in the fridge before throwing it out if it wasn’t fully used? Somehow I doubt that will be the case…but you never know! Thank you for sharing!!!

Sally March 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Ginger–I actually leave my natural PB on a shelf in the pantry, because we go through it so fast (about a jar every week or two). I’ve kept this chocolate PB out on the counter for a week as well, and it’s kept just fine. Refrigerated, I’m sure it would keep quite a long time–I’d be comfortable with a month or two.

Amanda Herwaldt Cowan March 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I LOVE that you didn’t add oil. I get so frustrated when I see recipes that call for oil! All you need to do is simply wait for the peanuts to release their own oil, no need to add any! I tried making chocolate the other day with my last batch but I used cocoa powder and honey and it did NOT turn out well. Taste wise, great. But sort of separated and gritty. I ended up adding it to a batch of sweet potato muffins. Oh well, no waste at least.

Next time I’ll try this method. It looks fantastic!

Karin March 7, 2013 at 10:18 am

Thanks for the recipe! I made it the other day and have a question. When it first finished, it was silky and smooth..tasted great. After I put it in a tupperware (stored in a cabinet), it congealed and was super thick/not easily spreadable. I tried adding honey to it to thin it out but it still got really thick afterwards. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the texture easier to spread?

Sally March 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hi Karin–Make sure you process it long enough that all those oils are released. Mine has hardened over time as well, though it’s usually still spreadable. You could always put some in a small glass dish and microwave for 20 seconds or so to soften it back up. Some recipes for this call for extra oil during the processing phase, but I didn’t want to do that.

Karin March 8, 2013 at 7:03 am

Thank you Sally. That’s probably the problem. For the 2 cups you used in this recipe, about how long did you process it in the food processor? I agree that I’d rather avoid adding extra oil to PB!

Sally March 8, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hey Karin—to be honest, I haven’t timed it exactly. I just watch it and wait for it to smooth out and then process it another 20-30 seconds or so for good measure. Next time I will time it! :)

Beth July 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hi! Maybe you can help me with something. I make my PB with only peanuts and honey, that’s all. I process the roasted unsalted peanuts til it’s soft, then add a little honey. As you know, when you put honey in it stiffens up big time, but then I process it til it’s really really smooth–which takes a long time in my Cuisinart. It gets extremely thin while it’s hot (which is fine) but the problem is even after refrigerated for days it stays pretty soft; a little softer than I’d prefer for sandwiches, etc. Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

Sally July 15, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hi Beth–I actually don’t refrigerate mine. We use it so quickly–going through a jar in a week or two–that it does not go rancid. And it’s much easier to spread that way! If you’re reluctant to do that, you could portion a smaller amount out to stay unrefrigerated and refrigerate the rest.