Aldi Haul: My Best Finds This Week

by Sally on October 14, 2012

I’ve already waxed poetic about Aldi (read: Ode to Aldi). So I won’t go on and on about how much I love the discount grocery chain.

But I couldn’t help but share these especially good deals (and a few new finds) from this week’s shopping trip:

16-ounce bag of frozen fruit for morning smoothies
Aldi Price: $1.99
Price at my local grocery store (store brand): $3.99

Dark chocolate
Aldi Price: $1.99 for 7.5 ounces (27 cents an ounce)
Price at my local grocery store (Hershey’s Bliss): $4.99 for 9.6 ounces (52 cents an ounce)

Whole pineapple
Aldi Price: $1.99 as one of their weekly “Produce Picks”
Price at my local grocery store: $3.99

8-ounce bag of dates, perfect for making bars & cookie balls (read: Simple No-Bake Cookie Balls)
Aldi Price: $1.99
Price at my local grocery store: $3.99

Box of Artisan lettuce
Aldi Price: On sale for 99 cents.
Price at my local grocery store: $4.99

13.25 ounce box of 100% whole wheat spaghetti
Aldi Price: 99 cents
Price at my local grocery store (store brand): They just lowered it to $1, so not much savings–but I’m still psyched to find 100% whole wheat pasta at Aldi!

For this week’s Aldi deals, check out their weekly ad here.

If you love Aldi too, what are your favorite finds?

Robin Jingjit October 15, 2012 at 2:14 am

Wow, Aldi’s looks like an awesome store!

Sally October 15, 2012 at 8:17 am

Robin–it really is! Do you have one in your area?

Kara October 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

I just got 3 large pumpkins at my Aldi last week for $2.29 each! Can’t beat that price! I also buy almond milk there & Greek yogurt.

Sally October 15, 2012 at 8:55 am

Yes! The pumpkins are a steal. And I just noticed the almond milk this week too.

Jenna Z October 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I super duper LOVE Aldi too. I like their Moser Roth chocolate better than the Choceur though. They just started getting a line of organic products like canned tomatoes and apple juice. I am particularly taken with their Speculatias cookies, of which I can eat a whole package in just a few days, so I don’t buy them very often. I like their frozen berries, numerous flavored mustards, steel cut oats, and large bags of unsalted almonds! I will say some bummers have been their cocoa powder (off tasting), knock-off cheerios (tasted burnt and were hard and oddly shaped) and the pomegranates I got last week were not ripe at all.

Sally October 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Jenna–those are good ideas for future purchases! I’ll have to check those out. I’ve had some Aldi disappointments too. Their dishwashing detergent left a white film on my dishes and my husband claims their cereal has a funny aftertaste.

Emia October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Same store, different country, very different pricing! Aldi is still a bargain by Australian standards. Here in Australia but we get a single bar of dark Aldi chocolate for 2.99 and Frozen Berries for 4.99 per bag. Australians pay so much for all their goods – food and everything else. Thank goodness fruit and veg tend to be more reasonably priced.