This Whole Wheat Spaghetti Carbonara is a fast weeknight meal that uses just a few simple ingredients and will please everyone around your dinner table.
There are some dinners that I really like (fish tacos), some my husband really likes (pork chops), some my older son really likes (pot roast), and some my younger son really likes (tomato alphabet soup). There are dinners half of the family digs and a few that three-quarters of us enjoy.
If you were to map out all of these meals into a Favorite Dinners Venn Diagram, there would be one meal at the magical intersection point of all four of us: Spaghetti Carbonara.
This isn’t a lighter version or a healthier makeover. This is pasta, bacon, eggs, and cheese. It’s hearty and filling. And it’s sure to please.
I serve it with crisp green salads.
And everyone cleans their plate!
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces (I like Applegate Uncured Sunday Bacon)
- 10 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, about two-thirds of a 1-pound box
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnishing
- 1-2 pinches kosher salt
- Mix Parmesan cheese and eggs together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Set a large pot of water to boil.
- While you're waiting for the water to come to a boil, heat olive oil in a deep skillet or a Dutch oven and add bacon, stirring frequently.
- While bacon is cooking, add spaghetti to boiling water.
- Fry bacon pieces until crisp. Add garlic and cook together for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Turn heat to low.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving some pasta water, and immediately pour drained noodles into the pan with the bacon, tossing well to coat.
- Remove pan from heat. Add the cheese/egg mixture slowly to the spaghetti while tossing. The hot pasta will cook the eggs (but don't let them scramble!).
- Stir in some of the pasta water, a small amount of time, for extra creaminess.
- Add parsley and salt and toss again to coat.
- Serve immediately, garnished with additional Parmesan and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 portion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Saturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 1328mgCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 31g