This Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie, with a biscuit-like top crust, makes an easy and comforting weeknight dinner and comes together quickly.
I am a Midwestern girl. I don’t put on airs. I wear Dansko clogs because they’re comfortable and lipstick only if I have to.
And I love a good cream soup casserole. It’s the food of my people. And I refuse to apologize for it.
Cream soup has a bad rap, and I get it: The ingredient list can be long and include things like MSG and soy protein isolate.
Homemade cream soup isn’t hard to make (I’ve used this recipe from Pinch of Yum). But some weeknights, I don’t want to make cream soup from scratch. I want to save time and get dinner done. So I was pleased to discover this organic version of cream of chicken soup that has pretty simple ingredients including creme fraiche, cream, and cooked chicken.
I use it in this Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie, which is a twist on a recipe I’ve had for years. A friend’s mother brought this to us when we had our first baby. It’s true comfort food–hearty, bubbly, and filling, with a biscuit-like top crust.
This Whole Wheat Pot Pie comes together fast then bakes for about an hour–so put it in the oven and then go put your feet up with a glass of wine. You deserve it.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 12- ounce box Pacific cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- Measure flour into a medium mixing bowl and stir in baking powder and salt. Pour in melted butter and milk and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Combine cooked chicken and peas/carrots in a square baking dish or 6-cup casserole dish.
- Combine cream of chicken soup and broth in a small bowl, pour over chicken, and mix until well combined.
- Spoon flour/butter/milk mixture on top of chicken and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly around edges. Let it sit for five minutes then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 -6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 132mg Sodium: 829mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 35g