This Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie, with a biscuit-like top crust, makes an easy and comforting weeknight dinner and comes together quickly.
I am a Midwestern girl. I don’t put on airs. I wear Dansko clogs because they’re comfortable and lipstick only if I have to.
And I love a good cream soup casserole. It’s the food of my people. And I refuse to apologize for it.
Homemade cream soup isn’t hard to make (I’ve used this recipe from Pinch of Yum). But some weeknights, I don’t want to make cream soup from scratch. I want to save time and get dinner done. So I was pleased to discover this organic version of cream of chicken soup that has pretty simple ingredients including creme fraiche, cream, and cooked chicken.
I use it in this Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie, which is a twist on a recipe I’ve had for years. A friend’s mother brought this to us when we had our first baby. It’s true comfort food–hearty, bubbly, and filling, with a biscuit-like top crust.
This Whole Wheat Pot Pie comes together fast then bakes for about an hour–so put it in the oven and then go put your feet up with a glass of wine. You deserve it.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 12- ounce box Pacific cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- Measure flour into a medium mixing bowl and stir in baking powder and salt. Pour in melted butter and milk and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Combine cooked chicken and peas/carrots in a square baking dish or 6-cup casserole dish.
- Combine cream of chicken soup and broth in a small bowl, pour over chicken, and mix until well combined.
- Spoon flour/butter/milk mixture on top of chicken and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly around edges. Let it sit for five minutes then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 829mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g