Looking for a naturally-colored alternatives for things like candy and sprinkles? Here are 13 products without food dyes.
Maybe you feel a little iffy about food dyes.
Or maybe you just don’t think your kid does well with them.
Luckily there are lots of natural alternatives on the market these days, for everything from bright-colored candy to brilliant hues of frosting.
Are food dyes safe?
Synthetic dyes like Red 3 and Blue 2 been around for decades and the FDA says they’re safe, but there’s still controversy.
That’s because there’s evidence that dyes may have an adverse effect on kids, worsening symptoms like inattention and hyperactivity in some children with ADHD–and even in some kids who don’t have ADHD.
Even the FDA says, “Most children have no adverse effects when consuming foods containing color additives, but some evidence suggests that certain children may be sensitive to them.”
I dug into all the research here to answer your questions: Is Artificial Food Coloring Safe For Kids?
Products made with natural food colors
I reached out to Real Mom Nutrition readers whose children have sensitivities to food dyes and asked for their favorite naturally-colored versions of typically-dyed food like candy and cake sprinkles.
All of these products are either ones they recommended or ones that I like, and they all use natural food colors from plants for their hues.
It goes without saying, but using natural colors instead of synthetic food dyes doesn’t magically make candy and cupcake sprinkles “healthy”, but these are great options if you’re looking to avoid synthetic dyes!
Naturally Colored Candy
- 1 YumEarth Organic Lollipops
- 2 TruSweets Candy Canes (currently unavailable, try YumEarth Organic Candy Canes)
- 3 Black Forest Gummy Bears
- 4 Trader Joe’s Gourmet Jelly Beans
- 5 UnReal Candies
Naturally Colored Cake Decorating
- 6 Color Kitchen Food Coloring
- 7 McCormick Color Nature Food Coloring
- 8 India Tree Sprinkles
- 9 Color Kitchen Sprinkles
Naturally Colored Baking
- 10 Immaculate Baking Company Crescent Rolls
- 11 Pillsbury Purely Simple Cake Mix (currently unavailable, try Annie’s Yellow Cake Mix instead)
- 12 Annie’s Crescent Rolls
- 13 King Arthur Flour Baking Mix & Frosting Pack
How to make your own natural food coloring
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.