Inside: Get a recipe for BBQ Chicken Kebabs that uses a simple seasoning rub and a trip under the broiler. Full of flavor and fun to eat for kids!
Is there a kid around who doesn’t like eating things off of sticks?
If there is, he doesn’t live in my house!
This recipe is from my cookbook Cooking Light Dinnertime Survival Guide. It’s perfect for summer because you cook it quickly under the broiler–no need to heat up the oven (and your kitchen).
What you need for this recipe
- Chicken breast tenders (about 10)
- Brown sugar
- Black pepper
Why you’ll love this recipe
- You can skip bottled barbecue sauce and use four pantry staples instead.
- It cooks under the broiler (or on the grill) in no time.
- You can mix up a big batch of the rub and keep it in the pantry for multiple meals.
- Your kids can eat it right off the sticks (and serve it with other handheld sides like the ones above) so there are no utensils to wash.
- It’s so easy it barely feels like cooking–which is why it’s featured in chapter 10, which is titled “Frankly, I Just Don’t Feel Like It” (because sometimes, I don’t).
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders, 10 tenders
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Thread chicken tenders onto 10 (4 1/2- to 6-inch) skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water 30 minutes before grilling to prevent scorching.
- Combine paprika, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper in a bowl; stir well, and rub over tenderloins.
- Place skewers on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 8 minutes on each side or until done, turning skewers occasionally.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Servings Serving Size: 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Sodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 31g
More Family Dinner Recipes