Thanks to ALDI for sponsoring this post!
Apologies if I seem un-American with this confession, but I’ve never been wild about traditional backyard cookouts. I know most people love them, but I’m just not a big fan of foods like hot dogs and baked beans.
Thankfully, I’ve noticed cookout menus are expanding, featuring foods beyond the burgers and potato salad of my childhood.
This Power Salad With Citrus Vinaigrette, created by ALDI Test Kitchen chefs, is totally something I’d bring to a cookout. It features shredded cabbage, Brussels sprouts, arugula, nuts, and dried fruit, tossed with a sweet and zesty vinaigrette dressing. Toss it together for your next cookout, and I’m guessing there will be a lot of guests (like me) who welcome something healthy and unexpected alongside the classics.
Some other cookout items you can grab at ALDI:
Veggie burgers: For guests who are vegan or vegetarian, or who want a change from burgers and dogs, ALDI has a new line of Earth Grown patties, including a Black Bean Chipotle Burger and Quinoa Crunch Veggie Burger you can cook on the grill.
Gluten-free snacks: If you have guests who need to avoid gluten, pick up a package of ALDI snacks like liveGfree Gluten Free Pretzel Mini Twists or liveGfree Black Sesame Brown Rice Crisps (their entire liveGfree line just earned the prestigious Good Housekeeping Seal, so you know they’re good!).
Beer alternatives: Not everyone wants a cold beer at a cookout (raises hand). ALDI carries affordable, award-winning wines so you can make these easy White Wine Spritzers using fresh fruit.
|You might also like: How to Shop at ALDI|
Power Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 5-ounce packages SimplyNature Organic Arugula
- 1/2 cup Southern Grove Chopped Pecans toasted
- 1/2 cup Southern Grove Dried Cherries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon SimplyNature Organic Wildflower Honey
- 1 tablespoon Burman's Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon SimplyNature Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Carlini Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Carlini Canola Oil
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- For the salad: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Reserve.
- For the dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, orange zest and juice, honey, mustard and vinegar in a medium bowl. Continue whisking and slowly add oils. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dress salad with desired amount of dressing. Toss until coated.