I was asked to participate in the #PastaFits campaign as a member of the Healthy Aperture blogger network. I was compensated for my time. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.
Soy sauce has the unique ability to transform a dish into something my kids want to eat. So when veggies aren’t getting enough love on dinner plates and in lunch boxes, I throw some into a stir-fry and let soy sauce work its magic.
Using whole wheat spaghetti noodles in place of rice (or pricey rice noodles in the ethnic foods aisle) is an easy, affordable, and nutritious way to mix it up. A cup of whole wheat spaghetti is packed with six grams of fiber–that’s about 25 percent of the fiber you need ever day. Fiber-rich carbs mean a slower release of energy and make a meatless meal like this one more filling and satisfying.
Load up this stir-fry with the veggies your family likes best. Two scrambled eggs are added for extra protein. Everything gets tossed in a sweet and savory sauce. For a kick, add a squirt (or five) of sriracha.
[Tweet “Easy weeknight meal: Stir-Fry Veggies With Whole Wheat Noodles #PastaFits #ad”]
- 9 ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti noodles, approximately three-quarters of a 13.25-ounce box or about 4.5 cups cooked
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional--will thicken the sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups veggies of your choice such as chopped red peppers, chopped yellow peppers, broccoli florets, snow peas, carrots, or mushrooms
- Sriracha to taste, optional
- Chopped peanuts & green onions for garnish, if desired
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, brown sugar, and cornstarch in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook 30 seconds while stirring.
- Add beaten eggs to pan and scramble. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.
- Heat other teaspoon of oil and add veggies. Stir-fry until brightly colored but still slightly crisp.
- Add sauce to veggies in skillet and give it a stir. Add eggs and noodles to skillet and toss together until everything is coated with the sauce and it cooks down just a bit, about 30 seconds. Add sriracha if desired and toss well again.
- Serve garnished with chopped peanuts and green onions, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1142mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 13g
Get more recipes on this blog featuring pasta:
- Peanut Butter Noodles with Carrots & Broccoli
- Easy Homemade Macaroni & Cheese
- Lunchbox Pesto Tortellini