While healthy meals are a priority for me, so is living within a budget. Like many of you, I have budget on my mind when I’m shopping and planning our dinners for the week. Fellow dietitian Clancy Harrison has created a website and free meal plans that are full of truly affordable recipes. This One Pot Spaghetti (just $1.25 per serving!) was a hit around here. I love that everything is made in one pot (so does my designated dishwasher husband), and it was richer and tastier than our usual spaghetti. It’s a perfect weeknight meal.
by Clancy Harrison, MS, RD
As a dietitian, my goal is to make food fun–not stressful–for parents by providing them with affordable approaches to feed their family on a tight budget.
Cooking with Clancy is a live cooking workshop I created for the Women with Children Program at Misericordia University, the only program in the nation that provides free housing and other services for single mothers earning a 4-year college degree.
Our kids play together while we test nourishing recipes. If the women like the recipe, we publish it on Cooking with Clancy, a website where parents can find affordable recipes and learn how to eat nourishing foods on a strict budget. Our recipes help families, like yours, create affordable meals.
This One Pot Meat Spaghetti is not only tasty but also very affordable at $1.25 per serving. It’s a featured dish in our meal plans.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 can tomato sauce, 15 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 tsp. salt or to taste
- 3 tsp. italian seasoning or pizza seasoning
- 16 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Brown meat and onions in a large stock pot over medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, and spices; bring to a boil.
- Add spaghetti, cover pan, and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Depending on type of pasta, you may need to add more broth or water as needed for desired consistency.
- When spaghetti is tender, top with grated cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 2031mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 34g
Clancy Harrison MS, RD, LDN is a sought after speaker for Congressional Briefings, live TV segments, and professional seminars. She is also an award winning author of Feeding Baby and Past President of Northeast Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. You can follow her on Facebook and Twitter.
Photos courtesy of Clancy Harrison