I was a terribly picky eater when I was a child (read: My Picky Eater Recovery). There’s a long list of foods that I wouldn’t eat then that I love now. This cucumber salad with vinegar is one of them. I grew up seeing it on the table–especially in the summertime when my parents pick loads of fresh cucumbers from their garden–but I never tried it until I was an adult.
And now I want to eat it all the time!
This salad would make an easy, seasonal side dish for dinner or lunch. Feel free to tweak the recipe based on what you like. My mom made it with apple cider vinegar for years before switching to seasoned rice vinegar, and I think both work well–as do sweet onions if you don’t like red ones.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place sliced cucumbers and red onion in a small bowl.
- Add vinegar and water and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.