Inside: Here’s a recipe for a simple, wholesome, homemade apple fruit leather that’s perfect for lunch boxes and snacks for kids.
Lately, I’ve been on a bit of a tear making fruit leathers. First it was strawberry (check out my Strawberry Fruit Leathers), then I tried peach and blackberry. They’ve all been big hits with my kids. I love that I can make these healthy fruit roll-ups in the oven, no dehydrator necessary. And I love that I can control what goes in them.
Here’s what in Strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups: Pears from Concentrate, Corn Syrup, Dried Corn Syrup, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Acetylated Mono & Diglycerides, Pectin, Malic Acid, Natural Flavor, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Color (Red 40, Yellows 5&6 , Blue 1)
(Are you looking for the word “strawberry”? I was too.)
|You might also like: Homemade Strawberry Fruit Leather|
With apple season in full swing, it was time to try apple fruit leather too. After some experimenting, I think I got it just right.
How to Make Apple Fruit Leather
Wash, peel, and chop 4 cups of apples (about 4 medium apples). I used a variety of apples I had on hand.
Place apples in a saucepan and add 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a simmer then cover and cook about 10 minutes or until soft.
Add 1-2 tablespoons sugar (to taste) and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mash. Cook 2-3 more minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Pour mixture into blender and process until smooth. Pour onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat (such as a Silpat baking mat) and spread into a thin layer with a spatula. Once it’s spread, bang the baking sheet on the counter a few times to make sure the mixture is even.
Bake at 170 degrees F (or as low as your oven will go) for 2-3 hours or until it’s tacky but doesn’t stick to your finger (check it every 20-3- minutes). Cut into strips. You can either place them on waxed or parchment paper or roll them up as is. Store in an air-tight container.
|You might also like: Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce|
How to Store Homemade Fruit Leather
Place homemade fruit leather in an airtight container or zip-top bag. According to the National Center for Home Preservation, homemade fruit leather will last one month at room temperature. You can also tightly wrap rolls of homemade fruit leather and freeze them for up to a year.
Is Homemade Fruit Leather Healthy?
Your child is getting real pureed fruit, which is a huge improvement over the boxed kind! But because fruit leather clings to teeth just like sticky candy, it’s ideal if your child can brush soon afterwards (or at least rinse with water or munch on some apples or carrots to naturally wash away the residue).
Get all my recipes for healthy fruit roll ups:
- 4 cups of peeled, chopped apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash, peel, and chop apples and place them in a medium saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add granulated sugar and cinnamon and mash. Cook 2-3 more minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Put mixture into a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour onto a large baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat (such as Silpat) and spread with a spatula into a thin layer. Bang the pan on the counter a few times to make sure the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 170 degrees (or similar low temperature, depending on your oven) for 2-3 hours, checking every 20-30 minutes, until it's tacky but doesn't stick to your finger.
- Allow it to cool, then cut into strips (a pizza cutter works well) and roll up. Keep in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 leathers Serving Size: 1 leather
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 43Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 0g
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.