White Chicken Chili
LISA’S TIP: This dish is also great with leftover cooked chicken. Just skip step 2 and add the cooked chicken with the garlic and spices in step 3.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeño minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 11/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels no need to thaw
- Two 15-ounce cans white beans such as Great Northern or cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth store bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- TOPPINGS: Chopped cilantro sour cream, grated Monterey Jack cheese, diced avocado, and/or corn tortilla strips
In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside (add more olive oil if the pot starts to dry out), 4 to 5 minutes.
Toss the minced garlic and spices into the pot and turn a few times to coat the chicken evenly. Add the corn, beans, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, about 20 minutes.
Break up some of the beans with the back of a wooden spoon to help thicken the chili. Stir in the cream, garnish with the desired toppings, and serve!
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 1088mg | Potassium: 309mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 4.7mg