This summer I want to…
1. Make lots of homemade ice pops with these Zoku molds. (I’m embarrassed to say that I own about six different kinds of ice pop molds but these are my favorites!)
2. Learn to cook a better steak. Take it off the grill sooner. Let it rest before serving. Convince husband that he actually prefers medium over medium well.
3. Make more recipes from the Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home cookbook. Her recipe for The Milkiest Chocolate In The World was the most labor-intensive ice cream I’ve ever made–but also the best darn thing to ever grace my turquoise Cuisinart ice cream maker.
4. Use (or give away) all the produce from our little backyard garden and try very, very hard not to let anything go to waste.
5. Share something deep-fried with my kids at the Ohio State Fair.
6. Grill shrimp. Convince rest of family that they actually like shrimp.
7. Eat only the summer desserts that are really, really worth it. Like this individual Key Lime Pie from Cap City Diner here in Columbus. Eating half of it required me to discreetly unbuckle the belt on my dress (worth it).
8. Cook more homemade pizza on the grill, which results in a terrifically crispy crust. (Here’s an easy crust recipe you can make in your bread maker.)
9. Make pesto with fresh basil. Lots of it. Stock it away in the freezer.
10. Freeze as much summer produce as possible so that in a few short months when I’m wearing sweaters, I can remember what summer tastes like.
What would be on YOUR summer food bucket list?