I love a good challenge: I’ve given up sugar (read: My Two-Week No-Sugar Challenge) and pushed myself to exercise daily (Join the Project 40 Fitness Challenge!). I like the double-dog-dare nature of these challenges. Every once in a while, it’s nice to step outside my comfort zone.
But I’d always been skeptical of “cleanses” and “detoxes”, especially when there was a celebrity attached, yammering on about how it makes them feel “pure and light” (yeah, I’m talking to you, Gwyneth). I also worried that a lot of them seemed downright unhealthy.
Then I heard about the Clean Eating Detox from fellow dietitian Danielle Omar. A detox created by a dietitian? I was intrigued. Three weeks of fresh, whole foods (with no sugar, wheat, or refined anything) sounded amazing. And way outside my comfort zone.
To be honest, I had to give up a lot of my go-to foods (goodbye, beloved cheese!) but figured I could do anything for three weeks.
So I drank a lot of these:
Ate lunches like this:
And dinners like this:
What was hard
- Staying on the cleanse meant a lot of planning and some special trips to Whole Foods.
- Eating out was nearly impossible. I had to travel for work and was hard-pressed to find anything at the conference I could eat.
- Though my family did try some of the recipes, there were nights I had to prepare multiple meals for the family (something I don’t usually do).
What I loved
- Danielle told us to simply eat until we were full. I’m used to thinking in portion sizes and calories as a dietitian, so that was freeing.
- Thanks to the recipes Danielle provided, I discovered some foods that I still love, like green smoothies and her Healthy Chocolate Mint Squares.
- The support through the group’s Facebook page and weekly conference calls kept me honest and on track.
Why I’m a believer
- My body really did go through a “detox” of sorts. The first week, I experienced some of the symptoms Danielle warned us about, like body aches and headaches.
- I noticed some striking, positive changes, like no nasal or throat congestion and no gunk in my eyes to wipe away in the morning. And the biggest shocker: None of the usual menstrual cramps that normally have me popping Advil around the clock.
- I dropped three pounds and my jeans felt looser. But more importantly, I felt good knowing that everything I was putting in my body was whole, real food.
The next session of Danielle’s 3-Week Clean Eating Detox starts January 8th with a group phone call and a week to shop, plan, and prepare.
The detox includes five group phone sessions, a big packet of recipes and meal plans, a shopping list, a Facebook page for support, and access to Danielle’s expertise.
To register, go here.
*****Enter the coupon code KALE (before December 31st) and get $20 off!*****
Disclaimer: None. I don’t receive any compensation for promoting Danielle’s program.