Avocado Toast Obsession (Plus 7 More Ways To Eat Avocados)

Avocado Toast Obsession -- Real Mom Nutrition

I’m a chronically early person. If I’m meeting you for lunch at noon, I’m there at 11:45 looking at the menu. Invite me to your shindig and I’ll arrive unfashionably early (on the upside, I’ll also help with last minute prep!). But when it comes to food, I’m often late to the party.

Like avocado toast. It was all the rage for a while before I gave it a whirl, and now it is a lunchtime obsession. If you haven’t tried it, here’s the “no-recipe recipe”: Mash avocado, add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and a dash of salt, then spread on a toasted piece of sturdy, grainy bread. (For more creative and adventurous ideas, check out Avocado Toast Extravaganza from Abby Langer.)

Avocados crop up on “superfood” lists and with good reason: Though they sometimes get a bad rap for being high in fat, it’s a kind of fat (monounsaturated) that’s especially good for your health. Half an avocado–the amount I use on my toast–has about a quarter of the fiber you need every day, more potassium than a banana, and even a couple grams of protein. That combo of protein, fat, and fiber also means avocados are filling and satisfying. That’s a quality I like in my meals–and why I make fresh guacamole about once a week to serve with dinner, whether we’re having burritos or not! (Here’s my No-Fuss Guacamole recipe.)

March happens to be National Nutrition Month, when registered dietitians like myself are encouraging people to choose nutrient-rich foods and incorporate more fruits and vegetables into meals and snacks. So in honor of the occasion, I asked some of my favorite dietitian bloggers to share one of their best avocado recipes with you:

Loaded Veggie Avocado Tuna Salad from Hummusapien

Loaded Veggie Avocado Tuna Salad

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie from Mom’s Kitchen Handbook

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie

Spinach Avocado Alfredo Sauce from Teaspoon of Spice

Spinach Avocado Alfredo Sauce-1

Ginger Citrus Salad Dressing from The Lean Green Bean

Ginger Citrus Salad Dressing

California Avocado Beef and Black Bean Burgers from Meal Makeover Moms

California Avocado Beef and Black Bean Burgers

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Avocado Cream from Danielle Omar

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Avocado CreamWhat’s YOUR favorite way to eat avocados?

Liked this post?

Sign up for my weekly Reality Bite email with tips, ideas, and encouragement and you'll receive a FREE e-book, "16 Game-Changing Tips For Feeding Kids".

Comments

1. says

Oh girl – one more thing we have in common – I’m usually early or on time for events but also often “late to the party” when it comes to trying out the latest food trends 🙂 But thanks for reminding me I have a leftover avocado from this week’s taco night that needs some love (aka spread on toast.) And thanks for including my alfredo sauce recipe 🙂

• says

Deanna–that’s nice to hear, I so often feel like the last one to jump on a foodie bandwagon! I can’t wait to try that alfredo sauce recipe! Every time I look at the picture I want to take a big bite of that pasta. Thanks for letting me include your recipe.

• says

Alexis–you are so welcome! Thanks for your awesome recipe too. I have never used avocado in tuna salad but since I am not a big fan of mayo, it sounds like the perfect solution!

• says

Gillian–we are a 50% household. But my fifth grader took THREE bites of guacamole last week and said it got better with each bite…so there’s hope! I love the idea of a Ban-Avocado Bread. I am pinning that to try later!

2. says

I on the other-hand am always late to the party – but often START trends! (Totally 100% kidding. Around here, I just try to keep 4 little noses clean and something in the fruit bowl…and not be more than 15 minutes late.) Thanks for the avocado inspiration…and link love!

• says

Serena–My chronically-early nature + kids = disaster! Being late drives me NUTS, so the parenting moments I am least proud of usually occur because one of them is slowing me down and causing us to be (gasp!) on time or a little bit late. 🙂

3. says

I lived in SF a couple years ago for an organizing gig, and avocado toast changed my life. And seems like there are cheap, ripe avocados at every corner there! In addition to your lemon & salt, it’s also good with some cumin & cayenne sprinkled on top.

P.S. I laughed out loud at your chronically-early comment (sorry, if you didn’t mean for it to be funny!) because I’m that person too, helping with the kitchen prep etc. But just last week, I decided to try out life as if I were NOT that person. I started leaving 15 minutes later for things than I usually do. Not sure how long I can keep it up…. I definitely waste less time (those 15-min waiting blocks add up!), but am sort of stressed about being late the whole time, which is no fun! haha 🙂

Trackbacks