I invented this breakfast shake one morning to sweeten the deal. It’s something fun and filling. I also love that it’s full of calcium, potassium, and protein to start his day.
You can easily adjust this recipe to your tastes and needs by:
- Subbing in a non-dairy milk such as almond or soy
- Using your favorite kind of nut butter
- Adding just one date (or omitting them completely) if you want less sweetness
I first heard of blending dates into a shake from Katie of Mom’s Kitchen Handbook, whose Creamy Dreamy Banana Date Shake is another sweet and satisfying favorite. Dates can be tough to pulverize completely in the blender, but I got this great tip from a reader: Soak them in a little dish of milk overnight (see how at My 10 Favorite Kitchen Tricks).
For more breakfast ideas, listen to the new episode of my podcast with Dr. Dina Rose, The Happy Bite, which is all about breakfast this week. Want more breakfast recipes? Try my Scrambled Egg Muffins and Yogurt & Flaxseed Waffles.
- 1 peeled, frozen banana
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 2 small pitted dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.