Did you have a childhood penpal? Mine was Jenny, and I met her in Niagra Falls on vacation. She was from Ohio, I was from Pennsylvania. We were both 11. We started writing letters back and forth–mailing each other stickers, gushing about our favorite bands (hers: Hall & Oates, mine: Duran Duran), and eventually, sharing tales of proms and college classes. I was always excited when her letters appeared in my mailbox.
So in the era of email and text messages, it’s so fun to have a penpal again. A different one every month, in fact. Who sends me food!
Last month I joined Foodie Penpals, a program started last year by Lindsay at The Lean Green Bean. I packed up a box of goodies and sent them to Janis at Finding Frenchie. And I received this box of goodies from Emily at My Journey Through Thick and Thin:
I’m now hooked on Mary’s Gone Crackers. Emily also sent a jar of sunflower butter and a gluten-free energy bar made from seeds, dried fruit, and nut butter. It was all delicious. And such a treat to try some new foods.
If you’d like to join Foodie Penpals, here’s the skinny from Lindsay:
- On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
- You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
- The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
- You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
- Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penpals is open to US & Canadian residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.
If you’re interested in participating for May, please CLICK HERE to fill out the participation form and read the terms and conditions. You must submit your information by May 4th as pairings will be emailed on May 5th!