Soccer Mom on a Mission: The Music Video!

By now, most of you know that I get a little feisty about soccer snacks. And t-ball snacks. (Read “Soccer Mom Soapbox” and “That Mom: The Sequel“). I know a lot you feel the same way. (Though some of you don’t.)

Last fall, I decided to start documenting the snacks I was seeing on the sidelines of soccer games in my community, and I asked a few of you to do the same. I got some funny looks on the field–and my friends kept asking what I was doing with all the pictures of fruit snacks and Capri Suns.

This is what I did with them.

If you enjoy it, please share it. And consider pushing for change on your own child’s team.

Like This Post?

Get my posts delivered to your inbox when they're published.

Comments

1. says

LOVE this! My only suggestion would be to shorten it a bit. I know you probably have a BAZILLION photos of the sideline junk, but it doesn’t take too long to get the gist that that stuff’s junk. I found the research nuggets on amt of sugar staggering. Those really hit home. Then, the photos of the GODD stuff were inspirational, and those are the parts that parents will be drawn to….. a display of fruit/veggie options that they can easily assemble and that kids are actually eating!! Truly great work though. Love it.

2. says

you know I hate snacks after the games.
    At soccer my son got snacks after the games. One season I even volunteered to be the snack list mom. One game a parent forgot to bring “treats” and the boys were upset. However, my son in playing basketball right now and we aren’t doing snacks,”treats” after the game and not one boy on the team has complained. Why do we even have to have after game “treats”?

• says

Corrine–I agree with you and don’t think snacks are necessary after the game. Most kids go straight home after the game and can get a snack or a meal there. But I figure that fruit is a good compromise and a good first step.

3. says

I could not agree more! Every soccer game last season, parents brought the worst snacks. Of course I looked like Captain Buzzkill when it was my turn.

4. MaryK. says

Way back in the day when my grown children were young, I coached youth soccer. I wouldn’t allow any drinks other than water to practice or a game (these were all under 10 years old). We also went to the parents and after presenting the health risks of sugary and salty snacks to a child athlete, we “suggested” they follow the eating plan that our local pediatricians and nutritionists drew up for the YMCA at their request. Nearly 100% of the time, our parents complied. The kids balked a teeny bit at first, but after awhile, they never questioned it again. I only worked with the under 10 kids, but my coaching partner eventually went up to the upper levels at the request of our parents. They felt we were truly interested in our coached kids and their health as well as the game, so they wanted one of us at every level they could request as coaches for their kids. That was the ultimate confirmation we’d done the right thing. Now, all the coaches must attend a nutrition seminar to become a volunteer coach. Getting everyone’s buy in is essential, but once you have it, it’s priceless.

5. Nushin says

Thanks, need to also focus on the artificial colors and flavors in drinks like Gatorade that many coaches think are “healthy”!!!!

6. Lisa says

My congratulations to you for being brave enough to go against the mainstream in making this video! I’m not sure why this is so difficult for Americans to understand. Don’t feed your kids processed junk food, feed them real /healthy food…sustainable, local, organic and wholesome food (SLOW FOOD)! If mothers/fathers did some research on what is in processed foods (chemically altered food loaded with salt, fat, additives and preservatives), where the ingredients come from (GMO corn and soy in most every product) they may see things in a different light and feed these young bodies healthy food. Instead, Americans just sit back and let others (Big food companies, commercial farmers, our government, etc…) make decisions for them! It’s time for parents to take control and stop the madness and marketing of processed foods to precious young people! Sorry this seems like a rant, but I am very concerned about what people consider food in this country. Take your kids to the Burke Museum this month to see Hungry Planet, What the World Eats! Be Well, Eat Well!!

7. says

thank you for doing this! it is wonderful!!
    I have shared on my facebook page and hope to blog about it soon and my own local experiment and effort to impact change…thanks for the motivation and inspiration!

8. says

GREAT video! I would love to share this during some trainings we’re doing about how to improve the food environment for kids and families. At some of the trainings, I don’t have internet access. Is there anyway I could get a copy of the slide show to share?

Thanks,
    Virginia Clark, MS, RD
    Obesity Prevention Supervisor
    Poudre Valley Health System
    Fort Collins, CO

9. stef says

great video. Such a great visual comparison. Last year, I’m guilty. I brought juice, fruit, and another item. This year I plan to bring water, oranges and baby cucumbers from costco (at least that’s what my daughter says she wants to bring). At first she complained, but when I gave her a choice of 2 fruits or a fruit and a veg, she picked those 2 items. Wish me luck. I’m going to be the change myself this year…and see if it catches on. I’m going to sign up for early in the season.

10. Elaine says

I came over here from 100 days of real food. I am interested to see your video. Hope you can get it working soon.

Trackbacks

1. […] Soccer Mom on a Mission: The Music Video #ssba img { padding: 10px; border: 0; box-shadow: 0; display: inline; } #ssba { font-size: px; color: ; font-weight: ; } Leave a CommentFiled Under: healthy living, school age, tween Tagged With: nutrition, outdoor fun, snacks, soccer […]

2. […] Easy Delicious Ways to Flavor Popcorn without Salt The Dark Side of Kids on Social Media Soccer Moms on a Mission: The Music Video Why Our 20’s Are the Most Important Decade of Adulthood SelfControl App Meal Planning 101 4 […]